External Email - Use Caution

Hi,

I just wanted to follow up and see if there was anyone who could answer my
questions:

1. What is the unit of effect size for the gamma.mgh file created by
vertexwise GLM Analysis using mri_glmfit?

2. Based on two previous posts (
https://www.mail-archive.com/freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/msg52144.html
 and
https://www.mail-archive.com/freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/msg57316.html)
I tried to calculate Cohen’s d in all significant clusters resulting from
clusterwise multiple comparison correction of a vertexwise GLM using
mri_glmfit. I did this by dividing the gamma.mgh file by rstd.mgh to create
a cohensd.mgh file (fscalc gamma.mgh div ../rstd.mgh -o cohensd.mgh). Then
from the output of that operation I extracted the mean value in each
significant cluster from my vertexwise analysis using mri_segstats
(mri_segstats --i cohensd.mgh --seg cluster.sig.ocn.mgh --exclude 0 --o
sum.dat). My understanding was that this would yield the average Cohen’s d
of each cluster. However, if it is indeed Cohen’s d the effect sizes
yielded (between .01 and .02) are so small that they should be undetectable
given my sample size (N=1104). This leads me to believe that the outputs
are not in fact the average Cohen’s d of the cluster. Can anyone provide
any clarification of what the output file of this process means?
Specifically, what is the unit of effect size?

Please let me know if I can clarify anything.

Thanks,

Max

--

Max M Owens