External Email - Use Caution
I'm just going to try this again, but this time with a different command:

mris_apply_reg --src-xyz /usr/local/freesurfer/subjects/fsaverage/surf/lh.white --trg /home/ian/lh_reg.white --streg /usr/local/freesurfer/subjects/fsaverage/surf/lh.sphere.reg /obd-fs/proc/my_subject/freesurfer/surf/lh.sphere.reg"

This gives me the same issue - fsaverage/surf/lh.white has 300k+ points in it, and the output of this command has fewer than half that.

I do not understand what kind of registration would reduce the number of points.  What is the relationship between the first point in --src_xyz file and the first point in the output registered file?  If I halved the number of points in the input, would I expect the output to be half the size?  Or less?

I'm sure there's a simple explanation that I don't have my head around just yet - thank you for your patience.

Ian