If you have run recon-all on the case and samseg on the conformed image (eg, orig.mgz or nu.mgz), then you can run mri_surf2volseg to insert the cortical parcellations into the volumetic seg (look in the recon-all.log to see the commandline used to create the aparc+aseg.mgz)

On 8/26/2022 7:53 AM, Wittayer, Matthias wrote:

        External Email - Use Caution

Dear all,

thanks for the advice to use Samseg. That improved things a lot. Is there a way to assess more parcels than there are included in Samseg by default (i.e. something like aseg/astats- parcels)? I want to apply multivariate lonitudinal atrophy models on the data and need to separate i.e. frontal from parietal cortex.

Best Regards Matthias

*Von:*freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu <freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> *Im Auftrag von *Douglas N. Greve
*Gesendet:* Freitag, 24. Juni 2022 16:22
*An:* freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu; Cerri, Stefano <sce...@mgh.harvard.edu> *Betreff:* Re: [Freesurfer] Problem with longitudinal processing (MS lesions/samseg)

On 6/20/2022 3:03 AM, Wittayer, Matthias wrote:

    *        External Email - Use Caution *

    Hi, thanks for your answer.
    Yes I did the longitudinal runs using the base as described in the
    manual. So the pipeline is:
    1.) Cross sectional Recon all
    2.) recon-all -base Template.nii -tp timepoint1.nii -tp
    timepoint2.nii -tp timepoint3.nii -all
    3.) recon all -Long timepoint1.nii Template.nii -all
    Then I read volumes of the segments from asegstats from the
    folders of the longitudinal runs with a R script and subtract
    values of two consecutive timepoints from one another.
    Miraculously some grey matter areas seem to grow in MS patients
    (Not only a few voxels but up to 46%, upon visual inspection I
    cannot really tell the difference as these still are just some
    voxels, but in the raw data areas are pretty much the same size).
    Either my boss is heading for a highly remunerated price here or I
    just did something wrong with the analysis. He hopes for the
    former… I am guessing the latter. The problem is not
    systematically distributed as there is not for example one
    timepoint that is corrupted in several areas and the others are
    fine and there is not one particular area that has a problem. So
    garbage in garbage out is maybe not the main problem.
    The only things that came to my mind (and did not improve the
    problem) were:

    1.Bias field correction (I used ANTS N4), though we only have 3T-
    data.

    2.Lesion filling with a binary lesion mask using FSL

    Do I take the right tables (asegstats from the longitudinal runs
    folders) to calculate my differences?

Yes, that is right

    My understanding of the longitudinal pipeline was that all
    timeponits available (and not only the timeponit I do the
    longitudinal run with and the next one) are used to form a
    template that is warped to atlas space to measure volumes by
    combinig transformation matrices of the warping of the raw
    timepoint- image of the longitudinal run to the common template
    and the transformation matrix of the warping of the template to
    atlas space. Is that roughly the way it works?

I did not entirely follow all of that, but it sounds right. How do the volumes look in the cross analysis? Do you see the same trend of increase? When you look at the segmentations, are you saying that only a few voxels change even though the volume is changing by 46%? One thing you can try is samseg longitudinal analysis with lesion segmentation. It was developed  using MS lesions in mind, so it would be good to check on a few cases at least. I'm cc'ing Stefano who developed the software.

    Thanks a lot!

    Matthias