Hi,

you could build an "embedded filesystem" using one of these great tools:
- buildroot   crosstools-ng
- ptxdist
- moblin2
- clfs

The one i prefer is buildroot because is simply, flexible and fast to build a root filesystem: to setup a minimal system, once you builded the toolchain using crosstools-ng, you need only a couple of hours! It support a lot of hardware platform and br mailing list is VERY active! If you need to use the hardware supplier toolchain you can, just set it instead to build one with crosstools-ng!

Freeswitch uses threads a lot, more than asterisk i think, so is preferable to use glibc or eglibc (more configurable than glibc, but essentially the same) instead of uclibc because these libraries are great for embedded hardware but support only old style threads (linuxthread instead of nptl). You can use busybox as base for a lot of stuff and then build what you need (php with fastcgi, lighttpd [althought i prefer nginx], sqlite, lua and so on).

I'm doing some job integrating fs with an own software, so i'll start to work on it, probably, the next year, at the end of first quarter or at start of the second, until that moment i'll use a shrinked down ubuntu 8.04 to fit it on a 4gb cf. (i got my alix board a couple of days ago!). However i've used br in a couple of personal project and to help my brother at university (needed to setup a system on a xilinx virtex ii board)

If you prefer something more well tested you can give a try to ptxdist or moblin2 but them are harder to use and configure althought them works better!

Best Regards,
Daniele