>>> However, I don't understand where the differences come from.
>>> Nothing in the hinting instructions added by ttfautohint is
>>> specific to ClearType.  It uses a large number of twilight points
>>> which is probably unusual a bit, but this doesn't explain how the
>>> asymmetry can come into existence.
>>
>> Well i have no technical knowledge of the rendering stuff behind
>> Cleartype or Freetype, but my eyes tell me that they render the same
>> TT instructions differently
>
> Mhmm.  Up to now I've *never* seen a font rendered with FreeType which
> shows such a large deviation from the Windows font engine.  I believe
> that FreeType's output is quite trustworthy.

heh. Really?  Depends what you mean by 'large deviation' i guess.
I only ever seem to see differences between Windows font rendering and the
other OS's :)

> Maybe there are problems with my bytecode.

Well - your bytecode seems to work fine for hinting under Freetype, but not
under Windows GDI.

You should probably look at the newest screenshots at
http://code.newtypography.co.uk
I tested Ubuntu Font & Droid Serif with the Windows' 'system font viewer' on XP
and Win7, both with GDI-Cleartype.
Some very glitchy stuff happens with the ttfauto hinted fonts at larger sizes -
36pts on Ubuntu Font, 48pts on Droid Serif. I have tested and replicated those
glitches on different PC's so they are for real! :)

Must do some full waterfall tests to see what else is happening at other sizes.
 More testers and more eyes would be good too.

>>> Perhaps I can activate my contacts to the font people at Microsoft,
>>> asking for help in case the rendering problems you observe are also
>>> present in Win7.
>>
>> That would be good. Any light shed on how Cleartype utilises TT
>> instructions would be great.
>
> But the bad rendering happens with and without ClearType, right?

The rendering glitches seem to be specific to the GDI-Cleartype rendering, and
absent (as far as i can see) from the new (FireFox4 & IE9)
DirectWrite-Cleartype rendering.

-vern