On Sunday, 16 July 2023 at 07:54:11 BST, Brad Neimann
<brad.neim...@hotmail.com> wrote:

 > ...Can anyone explain what’s
> happening here? I would expect that, if the diacritic is to be hinted as
> a horizontal bar, that would occur only at the smallest sizes, and would
> equally affect the combining diacritic too.
Somebody more knowledgeable can correct me, but I think combining diacritics
happens with:
Outline1 -> hinted bitmap1Outline2 -> hinted bitmap2
Bitmap output = hinted bitmap1 + hinted bitmap2 positioned at grid-fitted (ie
another "hinting") offsets
(Actually, I think it happens in the opposite order: the grid-fitted offsets
are calculated first)
compared to a single glyph with two sets of outlines, where the outlines are
hinted together.