I have a better idea:

Develop a easy to use plugin installation framework for freevo.

Then, ship freevo with only patent free plugins, like Ogg, Flac, Theora
and other utilities, like weather, mail, clock, lcd, joystick, ...

Then, let users know if they want they can download things from the
net. Everybody uses MPlayer, what's the deal if one use it in his
computer or in his Freevo box, which is also a normal computer?

When you gain some momentum, you buy the codecs and offer them together
with Freevo. Lindows does that, offering Xine with DVD license.

Gustavo

 --- Peter Svensson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> escreveu:
> OK. I checked out the license fees for the MPEG-4 AAC
> (http://www.vialicensing.com/products/mpeg4aac/license.terms.html).
> If we
> assume that we can get a 'consumer' license, it's not many dollars
> we're
> talking about. Would there be any reason to beleive that the other
> licenses
> would be substantially heftier?
>
> So let's disable ripping AND burning. Nobody sued Sony for them
> selling
> Playstations that could be modded, did they?
>
> And just to clarify my point when it comes to free things and what
> one might
> get back from selling them; Freevo is free, as Redhat is free. The
> support,
> systems containing the free software and the automatic
> web-update/management
> service isn't.
>
> That's what makes this (in my eyes) a viable and interesting idea.
>
> /Peter

Yahoo! Mail - o melhor webmail do Brasil
http://mail.yahoo.com.br