Rob Shortt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Before I commit this patch I think we should add some sound logic on
> how to deal with back to back recordings.  I think it makes sense to
> not overrun the first and not underrun the second, but how to we make
> this work?
>
> Well, we must do this calculation when a program is going to start
> recording, otherwise bad things will happen when we do things like
> schedule or remove scheduled recordings near show's start/stop times.
>
> When a program is going to start recording (based on record padding,
> say 1 minute early) it should check if something is recording already
> / in the timeslot beforehand.  If nothing is recording it should start
> recording.  If something IS recording then it should ignore the
> pre-record padding of the next recording and also ignore the
> post-record padding of the current recording.
>
> In order to do this recordserver will need to:
>
> 1)  Delay the recording of the next recording by the record padding value.
>
> 2)  Be able to stop the current recording early enough to cleanup and
> start recording the next show on time.

I think we should go to the root of this problem, and let the user
decide how to resolve conflicts during scheduling.

(I guess the scheduling eventually needs some work to get it running
with more than one capture card.)

> We should also (if not already available) add a method to each
> recording plugin to query its state, if recording or idle, because
> this could be used to see if something is recording.

And if the plugin is recording, it should be possible to get a
description/unique ID etc. of what it is recording.

This could be useful for future plugins like vcr-status,
web-vcr-status etc.

--
Eirik Meland

A: Top posters.