I'm running the current debian unstable version of freevo and all the webradio stations weren't working.

The problem was that childapp was receiving the command as unicode - as this is how they were being read from the xml radio list file.
Changing webradio.cwd
if info.name == 'TITLE':
title = info.textof()
if info.name == 'REF':
url = info.attrs[('', 'HREF')]
if info.name == 'TITLE':
title = info.textof().encode("iso-8859-1")
if info.name == 'REF':
url = info.attrs[('', 'HREF')].encode("iso-8859-1")
fixes the problem.

This may cause issues for people working with other character sets, but someone who knows more about freevo than me now knows where the issue is.

Thanks,
Chris