den_RDC wrote:
> I already nagged about this on irct, but i have collected some log output.
> The problem is the following : Freevo (1.4) kill's mplayer (with dfbmga)
> always the hard way when playing video. Playing audio files doesn't show any
> problem. I investigated this and made the following observations.
>
> - Killing mplayer manually from the shell (but started by freevo!) works
> perfectly.

you mean kill -15?

> - Although mplayer is single-threaded afaik, with dfbmga it does use multiple
> threads (mostly 4 or 5, this seem to fluxtuate, dunno why).
> - After freevo hardkills mplayer, a zombie mplayer process is left over.

Freevo does

1. send 'quit' to mplayer
2. kill -15
3. kill -9

> - No real side-effects for the user, although he has to wait 2 seconds after
> pressing stop or back before the menu shows up (because of the repeated
> polling in childapp)

Because kill -9 is the _last_ chance to get rid of the program, but I
don't understand why a zombie still survives all this.

> - I've never seen something similar with other output methods i tested (xv,
> dxr3, mga_vid) so i guess it's speceific to dfbmga.
> Mplayer 1.0_rc2 was used btw. but 0.9.2 gave the same results.

Maybe it's a dfbmga problem, or you could try freevo cvs. The whole
childapp stuff is moved out of a subthread, maybe it works now.

"Writing in C or C++ is like running a chain saw with all the safety
 guards removed."
        -Bob Gray