Dirk Meyer wrote:
Richard van Paasen wrote:

A zombie process is already dead and exit'ed. You cannot kill it
again. The zombie process
is waiting in the process list until the parent (freevo in this case)
has checked its return status.
You can get rid of the zombie by catching SIGCHLD or by calling the
wait() function,
see manpages signal(2) and wait(2).

I know, that's why I'm wondering. After freevo kills a child, it does
call wait. So That's why I don't understand there is a zombie.

I think Freevo is calling wait on this zombie's parent, which doesn't want to die cleanly (or in a timely fashion). Freevo hardkill's the parent, chopping its child's head off leaving it as a zombie. I am wondering if Freevo could maintain a list of grandchilderen and call wait on each of them. Does that make any sense?

-Rob