On Wednesday 08 September 2004 12:56, Florian Demmer wrote:
> just a thought: if there were a way to access the smbus system using
> php, apache/php could simplifly creation of a stable and fast web part
> of freevo...

There are many pro's and con's of an integrated webserver vs. a separate one.
Probably this has been discussed before?
Aspects would be: Security, ease of installation, runtime efficiency(?)

ATM I can come up with slightly more advantages than disadvantages of the
Apache-way. (Apache/PHP are well-maintained, security-supervised, but also
more likely to be attacked. It can be started by inetd, so memory
requirements / startup time are no arguments. Many people will be familiar
with PHP development and can help maintain the Freevo webserver. Installation
is not more difficult than setting up the current webserver to start at
boottime.)

Actually, security would be the most important point for me, since it's so
convenient to be able to schedule recordings while not being at home. On the
other hand, I don't know how many Freevo users actually do that.

Ciao, /  /                                                    .o.
    /  / ANS                                                  ooo