Ben Ford wrote:
> Dirk Meyer wrote:
>
>>dfb or ivtv display. When you start mplayer, Freevo will switch to the
>>bmovl display (draw on top of mplayer). The variable gui.display is a
>>

> Just out of curiosity, why can't everything be rendered on bmovl?  It
> doesn't seem like it should be that hard to issue a "loadfile" command
> to mplayer to load the movie files.  One drawback is that mplayer
> doesn't seem to reinitialize -vf filters.

1. bmovl is too slow. We are working on a better frontend
2. Bad media files can crash mplayer/xine. I don't want Freevo to
   crash, too
3. mplayer creates the filter chain on startup and you can't change it
   later. But xine does not have this limitation.

>> This area stuff needs some cleanup, I need a good skin description
>> language to define how the screen should look like. The current
>> theme engine is powerfull but too complicated.
>
> Is rewriting this planned, or is it just a "would be nice to do"?

It is on my TODO list, but not very near to the top. I'm working at
the university and are about to put Freevo to our research
group. Maybe a student can design a language for that and get some
credit points for it.

> So putting the tabs across the top of the page would not be too
> difficult . . .

No, just create an area doing it and define that area in the skin
code. The main problem is that the menu widget is a stack right now,
it needs to be changed to a list of stacks (one stack for each kind of
item). And you need to define events to toggle the tab.

> but how would I make the page appear at the same time?
> That would be like having the main menu *and* the movie listing showing
> at the same time.

Yes, thats the problem. To do that, you need to update stuff in
menu/stack.py to split the stack into a list of stacks.

Don't trust reality. After all, it's only a collective hunch.