TC Wan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm playing with Freevo 1.6 SVN, and finally managed to get DMA sound
> working with Mencoder for TV recording (using the ALSA configuration
> information from the V4L2 Wiki on linuxtv.org). However, for all my
> attempts, mplayer refuses to playback live TV using DMA sound.

I had similar problems, it I understand you correctly, with TV sound and
the nforce4 chipset, I tried all these setting
MPLAYER_AO_DEV       = 'alsa:mmap:device=hw=0.0'
MPLAYER_AO_DEV       = 'alsa:noblock:device=hw=0.0'
MPLAYER_AO_DEV       = 'alsa:device=hw=0.0'

The last one worked, looking at the wiki page you posted, I think that
your set-up should be similar.

MPLAYER_AO_DEV       = 'alsa:device=hw=1.0' may work.

IIRC I have applied a patch to 1.6 to use MPLAYER_AO_DEV for TV sound.

> http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/Saa7134-alsa
>
> The alternative is to use Live TV Pause for watching TV. However, I
> haven't found any docoumentation on how to setup this feature. I know that
> it'll works, since I can manually schedule a recording, and playback the
> file that is currently recording manually. Pausing works, (too bad Seek
> doesn't, otherwise it'll be possible to skip commercials :) )
>
> Any pointers?

The current live TV pause is only for xine and ivtv card, this is
because xine only support ivtv cards with the mrl pvr://

What you're doing is watch a record TV programme as it's being recorded,
which has always worked.

HTH
Duncan