Hi

Duncan Webb wrote:
> I've a question about Python's Unicode handling and hope that someone
> can help.

Unicode in Python sucks!

> First, when a string is a Unicode string does this mean that every
> character is 2 or 4 bytes wide?

No idea.

> Second, file names from a fat system seem to be in latin1 but on the
> ext2/3 are in utf8. How can they be processed in a safe way without
> causing UnicodeErrors?

They are? That should not be the case. There is a system variable what
your defualt encoding is and what the filesytem encoding is. To avoid
errors in any kind, kaa.beacon uses strings for filenames all the
time, everything else is unicode. I suggest you do the same.

> This is related to the new library module in freevo-1, Wout and I are
> having trouble fixing it to work in all cases.

One solution would be to use str_to_unicode and unicode_to_str from
kaa.strutils (part of kaa.base). The code is similar to the Unicode
and String functions in freevo 1.x. But I'm not sure it will be
correct in any case for filenames, so you should keep them as they
are.

"If the Start Windows Restart when Windows starts check box is checked
Windows Restart will start automatically every time Windows is
started." - Actual excerpt from a windows program help file!