On Friday 01 December 2006 17:55, Jason Tackaberry wrote:
> Notice that ...
>
> > function: u"Hans".encode("utf-8") will make it an 8 bit unicode string
> > again,
>
> ... you also referred to an encoded utf8 sequence as a "unicode string."

Oh you don't have to explain yourself, I know you know all this. ;-)

Now to conclude the topic, Unicode is a standard (incl. revisions,
substandards, ...) defining character ranges with even a lot more than 2^16
characters.  However, to make it possible to work with legacy string
representations, utf-8 was invented which uses an escape code to represent
such a unicode string in an 8bit datastructure (and most notably, 7bit ASCII
strings are left untouched by the transform).

> > ..I find this misleading, since with a properly setup system, you
> > *should* know which encoding the filename has.  I am used to Qt, which
> > has
>
> Well, I find this misleading too.  What is a properly setup system?  I
> assume a stock Fedora Core 5 system is properly setup.  Yet when I
> download some mp3s from a friend of mine in Europe whose filenames are
> encoded as latin1, now I have latin1 filenames on my filesystem whose
> encoding is set to utf8.
>
> Maybe this suddenly becomes an improperly configured system, but it is,
> I would think, not that obscure a use-case.

I would still say that your system is properly setup, but then, some of your
filenames are broken.  That's probably because we are in a phase of
transition from latin-1 to utf-8 systems and not all software components
properly handle strings in an encoding-aware fashion.

One can argue that a user wants to see the right decoded filename, but then
again, a broken filename is a broken filename and in principle all programs
should display it in the same broken way until the filename is corrected.

--
Ciao, /  /                                                    .o.