mike lewis wrote:
> On 12/4/06, Duncan Webb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Evan Hisey wrote:
>>> Agree with mike on this one or even for converting TV mpegs to DVD
>>> suitable ones. After looking at the encoder menu, it looks like some
>>> thing that could be configured with encoding options in local_conf.py.
>>> Or at least disable/enable only certain formats. For example the
>>> version of MPlayer that I compile for slackware does not seem to have
>>> xvid encoding available( looking in to fixing this).
>>>
>>> Evan

>> So you would like to re-encode an avi to an avi, or what is the
>> container for ipods?
>>
> I don't have an ipod ;-).  But, I do have a DVD burner so burning from
> avi to dvd is something I would like right now..  But someone on the
> user list was asking about them?  Or was that you?
>
>> I have been thinking about changing the menu to act a bit like
>> favourites  on the TV menu, i.e. sub-menus for each item.
>>
> I tried hacking on the encoding server about 14 months ago.  I tried
> to extend the menu show you could configure your options.  The idea
> was to  have a selection of preset options that you could scroll
> though and select, like file type, screen resolution, audio stream
> type; and then hit go.
>
> However..  I failed miserably and also lost the code ;-).

The encodingcore takes as an argument a tuple which passes the settings,
this need to be changed to a dictionary to allow more flexibility. I
would like to have the choice of the video container, avi, mkv, the
choice of audio, mp2, mp3, ogg, the choice of bit-rates and the choice
of encoder. AFAIK ipods like x264. :)

den_RDC wrote the original code and I've hacked it to work in freevo-1
and added re-encode. From this work it should not be too hard to do but
it is a biggish job.