Jason Tackaberry wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-12-22 at 22:20 +0100, Dirk Meyer wrote:
>> Now we have the problem that mplayer has no way of knowing that the
>> content is interlaced or not. self._media was the mmpython result with
>> that info.
>
> self._media has to be passed into the backend, that's all.  Then the
> backend can decide what to do if it's interlaced.
>

>> And BTW, are you sure tvtime does the correct thing when
>> used with an avi? IIRC the detection only works for mpg.
>
> You are right that tvtime will not deinterlace an avi.  But the changes
> this commit makes don't change that fact.

I mean, if tvtime is running and you watch an avi, it will deinterlace
it. Simply because it does not know better. So 'auto' is the wrong
setting to turn it on. IMHO it should stay is it was before.
kaa.metadata uses the same information as tvtime to detect if it is
interlaced or not. So when we don't use the plugin it would be idle
anyway.

> This is something that needs to be addressed in xine itself.  It's been
> on my mental todo list for a while.  I had an idea for a plugin that
> would use some heuristics to try to detect interlaced content (with
> optional user override) that can be inserted before tvtime, and would
> set the VO_INTERLACED_FLAG bit on the frame accordingly.

There are flags in container for that. E.g. there is an interlaced
flag in the avi container. I don't know about other. Before you code
something like this (which would be very hard to do btw), please
finish kaa.candy :)

Hidden DOS secret: add BUGS=OFF to your CONFIG.SYS