Tanja wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I started to create a nativ kaa.epg module for epgdata.com.

Great

> 1.) Which channels should be filled to the database?
> At the moment I fill every channel to the database. As epgdata.com
> provides all epg for all channels in one zip archive, the question is
> just if we should put all channels to the database, or just the ones,
> that are interesting for the user?
> How can we decide which channels are interesting for the user?
> (This question is closly related to all the epg mapping questions, that
> have been discussed on this list.)

Yes. The user could blacklist channels he doesn't want. E.g. add all
channels and delete a channel in the gui later. This could mean a
config list for all blacklisted channels.

epg.epgdatacom.blacklist = chan1,chan2,chan3

or

epg.epgdatacom.blacklist[0] = chan1
epg.epgdatacom.blacklist[0] = chan2
epg.epgdatacom.blacklist[0] = chan3

> 2.) For filling in the data in the database, I seem to need a db_id for
> the channel, which is an int? How this db_id is created?

You don't need it. From the xmltv grabber:
    db_id = info.epg.add_channel(tuner_id=channel, name=station, long_name=name)

So by calling info.epg.add_channel (info.epg is the guide object) it
gets added to the db and you have your id.

> 3.) It seems that start and stop time should be in UTC?
> I guess that the epgdata.com dates are in german localtime, which is CET
> at the moment. They might change that silently to CEST in the summer.
> Does anyone know, how one can decide, if we should have DST at the
> moment, or not? Or should I rely on the users localtime been set to
> either CET or CEST?

localtime looks fine.

> 4.) The date element, which contains the year of creation of a programm,
> can contain dates of the format 1999-04 (from 1999 to 2004) or
> 1995/96 (1995 and 1996) for series.
> How should I put this in the database, which needs to get an int?
> (This is also a problem with my xmltv-parser for epgdata.com.)

ping Tack!

IMHO we could make date a string. The config looks like this now

        db.register_object_type_attrs("program",
            [ ("start", "stop") ],
            title = (unicode, ATTR_KEYWORDS),
            desc = (unicode, ATTR_KEYWORDS),
            start = (int, ATTR_SEARCHABLE),
            stop = (int, ATTR_SEARCHABLE),
            episode = (unicode, ATTR_SIMPLE),
            subtitle = (unicode, ATTR_SIMPLE),
            genre = (unicode, ATTR_SIMPLE),
            date = (int, ATTR_SEARCHABLE),
            rating = (dict, ATTR_SIMPLE)
        )

and it can be changed to string. Which means all other grabbers need
to be adjusted.

Speaking of the db definition:

        db.register_object_type_attrs("channel",
            tuner_id   = (list, ATTR_SIMPLE),
            name = (unicode, ATTR_SEARCHABLE),
            long_name  = (unicode, ATTR_SEARCHABLE),
        )

You should add the dvb id in epgdata.com channel description to the
tuner id list. This will help auto-mapping. And we need a way to store
the nice images you have. One idea would be to add it as raw data to
the db, the other one store the image in an extra dir with db_id as
name.

Anything labeled "NEW" and/or "IMPROVED" isn't.  The label means the
price went up.  The label "ALL NEW", "COMPLETELY NEW", or "GREAT NEW"
means the price went way up.