I too had plans to make a media center that runs on phone. Before I
started working on Freevo I was trying to make something like that for
a phone, but finally ended up writing an application called cTunes,
that looks like iTunes. cTunes can play audio, video and display
photos too. For a demo, follow this link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coV06ChYWJo

The application is running on a Motorola ROKR E2.

Chandan