Hi Duncan,

it seems that my problem with the recordserver is gone after upgrading python
to version 2.5.2a0.

All my test showed, that problem was happening inside of subprocess.Popen. As
you also noticed, a
print statement directly after the Popen call was never executed, but there was
also never an
exception. Somehow freevo got lost in the Popen call and there was not further
sign of life from
there. This observations made me start googling and maybe the problem was due
to this python bug:

Issue #1336: fix a race condition in subprocess.Popen if the garbage
   collector kicked in at the wrong time that would cause the process
   to hang when the child wrote to stderr.
http://bugs.python.org/issue1336

Anyway, now (after upgrading) the recording works as expected! :-)

But now I have the shutdown problem you were talking about. :-(

Tanja