On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 15:15 +0100, Duncan Webb wrote:
> Rob Shortt said the following, on 11.03.2008 14:46:
> > Hi Adam,
> >
> > Adam Charrett wrote:
> >
> >> Right annoyingly I thought pygame could do this, although it appears it
> >> will only be able to do it from the next release (1.8).
> >>

> > I ran into that also.
> >

> >> So my question is what is the best way to take a pygame.Surface and save
> >> it as an 8bit paletised/indexed PNG?
> >>
> >> It needs to be an index PNG as Vlc won't load anything else for its logo
> >> filter which I am going to use to display an OSD.
> >>
> >> Any help would be much appreciated, I've had a look a kaa.imlib2 but its
> >> not clear to me whether I can specify the format of the PNG. I haven't had
> >> a look at PIL yet, but I was hoping to keep the dependencies the same as
> >> freevo 1.
> >>

> > My first thought was PIL, but kaa.imlib2 should work fine as well.  Take
> > a look at some of the mevas code in the kaa SVN.  You'll likely need to
> > use the pygame Surface fromstring()/whatever and create in imlib2 or PIL
> > image with that data (both libraries have that ability).  I think you
> > can specify the image format in imlib2, or create it as raw and then
> > convert it to the PNG you need.
> >

> I had a look at the imlib2 C code and it is not clear how to specify how
> to set the format to 8 bit, I noticed that imlib2 uses lib png for
>
> Duncan

Thanks all, a quick look at the source code of imlib2 seemed to suggest
to me that it was hardcoded to ARGB for PNG, but PIL worked fine.

Unfortunately it seems to be a wasted learning experience as Vlc logo
filter works fine when used as a video filter, but you can't move/change
it. As a sub filter, which can be moved/changed, the colours are
completely wrong, I assume something todo with conversion to a YUV
palettised surface in Vlc.
Oh well, next step an X only solution for graphics OSD not what I
wanted, but gstreamer is not mature enough yet to include dvb subtitles.

Thanks again

Adam