I've been poking around freevo for a while now.  As I understand it,
the next major release of tvtime is due to include DVB support, but
in the meantime it'd be nice to let Freevo provide a simple front-end.

So, a question before I get too far ahead of myself:

Is there some mechanism to allow the creation of a menu with
items that run arbitrary commands?  e.g., could one create a menu
with a bunch of items that run "dvbstream <args> | mplayer <args>"?
That would make it fairly easy to add basic support for watching
"live" DVB-t programmes.

I've read through Docs/freevo_XML_data.dtd, and it doesn't suggest
anything obvious.  How about specifying a command rather than a filename
anywhere an audio/video filename can be given?  The command is run, and
the output piped to mplayer with whatever is in mplayer-options?

Would this require a great deal of work to implement?  If I knew more
(any!) Python I'd take a shot at it, but as things stand anything I
come up with will be an evil hack not worthy of inclusion.

Matt

--
                    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday