There is a great gentoo script available from the multimedia forum on
forums.gentoo.org which enables backup of DVD to SVCD, VCD etc, also avi
to VCD (and DVD to VCD 'on the fly').  The script is called 'myvcd'.

This is a next genration to the one shipped with mplayer, the auther has
taken the menvcd script and added alot of automation to it, also the
very cool on the fly dvd to vcd (no HD backup), from my (very little)
expreince with it, the inteligence has already been implemented, so it
would just be a matter of GUI-ing the tool, I would definately recomend
anyone interested to look at myvcd before menvcd, myvcd does everything
menvcd does and more and better..

I wish GKnot was reaesed on unix, it really is the eaisest way to make
good quality divx copies of anything, and an amalgamation of those 2
tools into one would be really l33t ;-)