Okay, after 2 hours wasted trying to get mplayer dfbmga working again I find that a
reboot fixed it.  Still no luck with freevo though.

I have removed my local_config.py (just in case).  If I now run freevo with just
directfb I get this

ROM_DRIVES: Auto-detected and added "('/mnt/cdrom', '/dev/cdroms/cdrom0', 'CD-1')"
ROM_DRIVES: Auto-detected that /dev/hda is the same device as /dev/cdroms/cdrom0,
skipping
freevo: bad file format, line 21
WARNING: /etc/freevo/lircrc not found!
Couldn't open mixer /dev/mixer

but it doesnt say line 21 of which file.  If I run with dfbmga I get the message
already posted.  /dev/mixer warnings are irrelavant I dont have a mixer on my sound
card.

Okay, if sdl is not using DirectFB, is there any way I could test sdl in isolation?  I
understand if I have Directfb 0.19 and sdl 1.25 then I shouldnt need the patch?  I'm
not sure how to debug my sdl installation.

Its kind of late in the UK so I'll catch you tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

Mark