Hi,
no, it seems to work without the display line in freevo.conf. (Ok, I have not really
checked all of them, perhaps there is display=X11 in ~/.freevo/freevo.conf.)

> Freevo should work automatically in either framebuffer mode or X11 mode,
> but mplayer uses the display setting to determine which display to use. So
> in framebuffer mode, you need display=fbdev (works in 1.3.4 on my GF4
> 440MX), and in X11, you need display=x11. display=sdl didn't work
> correctly for me for various reasons.

On my (1.3.4, nvidia-something) I do not have to switch anything. It just works. When
I have a look at the debug output of freevo, it seems to start mplayer with a command
line option like
        -vo xv,sdl,x11,... or something like this.
I believe that mplayer probes the given display options and runs with the first one
working.
But as Dischi said, this might not work with xine/fbxine.

Regards,
        Thorsten