On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 18:19:51 -0700
"skeeterskip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm getting rid of my mini-itx system and looking for micro-atx/flex
> atx type system. I noticed some of the boards have onboard video such
> as VIA Savage 8 and Intel Extreme Graphics engine. I have heard that
> 2d performance is decent for most of these, but 3D is extremely poor.
> For playing DVD's, divx movies, and TV playback, how important is 3D.
> I really don't know what difference is between 2d and 3d.

        Both are neither here nor there.

        For playing DVDs, divx movies, and TV playback, what's important is if
the back-end scaler and palette dac on the video chip is supported in
your output mode.

        Far more are supported in X than with other modes, but i don't know
what the details are for the savage 8 and intel video chips.

        If you were hoping to output to a TV, you need to worry about the
quality of tv-out on the actual board you're getting.

        Personally, I decided to avoid the whole debacle by buying a microatx
board with an AGP slot, I just use a G400.

 - Eric