some detective work narrowed it down the sound not coming out of the
capture card whilst mencoder was doing it's thing. (Plugged stereo
directly into capture card to help track it down)

when watching tvtime it's fine, when using mencoder there's no sound
coming out at all. I suspect it must be something to do with me using
line-in on the capture card to feed in the aduio.

At any rate, some futher experimentation found the streamer (comes with
xawtv) records the sound fine, so I'm about to start playing with
hooking streamer into freevo and seeing how that holds up.

I'm still puzzled as to why mencoder wouldn't produce any sound though -
at least I know it was something to do with the capture card, rather
than the soundcard settings (which I spent hours playing with)

Cheers
Dave Smylie