Well i run xmame like this

DIR_GAMES = [ ('MAME', '/media/games/roms',
                ('MAME', '/usr/bin/xmame.x11', '' ,
                 '/media/games/mameshots', [ 'zip' ] )) ]

When freevo starts for the first time setup.py will look for mame
or snes and puts the location of the binary in freevo.conf. Not sure
if it will detect stella.sdl ? So you maybe have to add it manually in
freevo.conf. It that doesn't work try to _fake_ it and use
xmame = /usr/bin/xmame.x11 in freevo.conf. Not sure if this is gonna
work and can't verify cause my hard drive crashed. ;-) Or search and
hunt down the code where the game detecting is done modify it and send
in a patch.

When a game is detected in freevo.conf it will give you the games menu
item. And as an last resort if that doesn't work try removing the
freevo cache files in /var/cache/freevo. Had to this myself otherwise
freevo didn't cache the rom file list. Essentially this is something
where some improvement can be done. Caching is very helpful but it
sometimes break things.

Scenario as follows:

* user sets up freevo. -> caching is done
* user decides to add games -> caching has already taken place and freevo
  doesn't bother anymore to generate a rom file list.

     /Robert