Dave Graham wrote:
"Bart Heremans" wrote:

I have a epia M and a PVR350.
I have been able to run X over the framebuffer driver for the pvr350 and
load freevo. But If try loading a divx or other file and output it with
mplayer ont the pvr350 it is very very slow.

So you use the pvr350 aus tv out? That works? Isn't it a dvb card? It should be possible to use the framebuffer stuff for Freevo and use the dvb output for mplayer and xine.

Dischi

The PVR-350 is an analog tv card, not DVB. The only thing it has in common with DVB cards is that most DVB cards also have an mpeg2 decoder and tv-out. You can't playback mpeg2 with mplayer's dvb support with a PVR-350.

I think the only way to playback using mplayer or xine would be through the framebuffer or x11, both of which will be slow as hell. I am kind of surprised that neither of those apps support the 350's output yet.

I was actually curious about that too. The way i see it, the PVR-350 is
able to do all the MPEG2 encode/decode onboard without much overhead. Since i want to run this directly through the PVR-350 (and am using the
mini-itx solely for it's size and power to drive the card), will i still
run into streaming problems?

It would be a fun project to wite a player for the PVR-350. This could be done in python an integrated right into Freevo. It should be trivial to create a basic player but I don't have the hardware to work on (not that I have lots of free time either!).

I don't think it will be long before mplayer or xine support the PVR-350's mpeg decoder and output.

-Rob