Excerpts (reformatted) from Matthieu Weber's mail of 14 Jan 2004 (EST):
> My Athlon XP 2200+ uses 50% CPU when recording from TV using mencoder,
> lavcodec with B frames and vhq enabled in 512x384 and VBR MP3 audio. It
> uses 20% CPU with default Freevo encoding options, in the same format.

How much of a difference is it going to make to get a, say, WinTV-PVR-250
instead of the WinTV-Radio? (I assume that the difference between these
products just the hardware MPEG encoding, but I'm not certain.)

> Be careful, HDD can be noisy (Barracudas are very silent, though), but
> my DVD drive (not burner) is a pain in the ass from the point of view
> of noise. I've heard that recent DVD (and maybe CD) drives cannot be
> slowed down (using setcd -x or hdparm -E) as I intended to do. I'm
> thus looking for another DVD drive.

Hm, good point. Does anyone have recommendations for cheap quiet DVD
burners? They don't have to be fancy or fast.

Thanks,

--
William <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>