I can almost taste a functioning freevo box now!

I'm hoping you folks can help me get over the last hurdle.  I've
installed freevo 1.4.1 on an AMD Duron running Redhat 9.0.  I'm using a
winTV card (NTSC 38101 Rev B410).

I made changes to local_conf.py and now I can watch TV and get sound.
Here are me general settings

AUDIO_DEVICE        = '/dev/dsp'
AUDIO_INPUT_DEVICE  = '/dev/audio'
MAJOR_AUDIO_CTRL    = 'VOL'
                                      # 'VOL', 'PCM' 'OGAIN' etc.
CONTROL_ALL_AUDIO   = 1
MAX_VOLUME          = 100
DEFAULT_VOLUME      = 80              # Set default volume level.
TV_IN_VOLUME        = 20
VCR_IN_VOLUME       = 20
DEV_MIXER           = '/dev/mixer'    # mixer device

`
Mencoder install is  dev-CVS-040124-05:24-3.2.2
I can now record programs with freevo and from the command line, using

/usr/local/bin/mencoder -tv
driver=v4l:input=0:norm=NTSC:channel=22:chanlist=us-cable:width=320:height=240:outfmt=yv12:device=/dev/video0:adevice=/dev/audio:audiorate=32000:forceaudio:forcechan=1:buffersize=64
 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1200:keyint=30 -oac mp3lame -lameopts
br=128:cbr:mode=3 -ffourcc divx -endpos 1249 -o
/home/freevo//01-31_23:00_The_Red_Green_Show_-_.avi tv://

The main problem is that there doesn't appear to be any sound recorded.
I can play the file back either with mplayer or inside freevo with the
same result.  I've tried several combinations of audio devices, but
still can't get any sound to be recorded.  Either that or it's too quiet
to hear.  I had to up default volume and lower the TV_IN_VOLUME to get
it to a reasonable level in the first place.

Another less bothersome problem is that the image seems rather dark when
watching TV and even darker in the recorded file.

I've been poking at this for a while.  Now that I'm so close, it driving
me nuts.  Thanks for all the help I've received along the way.

Pete