Ok, just looking for help in the list and didn't find any I created a mplayer option
for my movie on my own.
I get it to work with a movie file, maybe this helps also for streams. I'm also
interested in importing some internet live video
streams. So I used the <variants> option in the fxd file as described on the wiki
website.

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<freevo>
  <movie title="Test">
    <video>
      <file id="f1">test.mpg</file>
    </video>
      <variants>
         <variant name="Cropped test" mplayer-options="-vf crop=358:332:62:122">
            <part ref="f1"></part>
         </variant>
      </variants>
  </movie>
</freevo>

Don't use special characters directly in the fxd files and read the freevo main log
files for errors.
I noticed that it doesn't work with german umlauts.