Cheers, going through the new config again fixed the freevo problem, I
just had to uncomment a line or two that I hadnt uncommented when I went
through it the first time.

Now mplayer wont play anything, i copied the command freevo is trying to
use and tried it in X, it said that the v4l driver isnt loaded.

when I upgraded emerge also upgraded to mplayer 1.0something, I checked to
make sure it deteceted v4l in the configure script and it did.

I then thought It might be module related (bttv or videodev) so i did a
reboot for good measure.

Still nothing
any ideas, again?

oh I nearly forgot here is the command:
/usr/bin/mplayer -vo xv,sdl,x11, -fs -nocache -slave tv:// -tv
driver=v4l:freq=46.250:device=/dev/video0:input=0:norm=PAL:width=640:height=480:outfmt=yuy2

Cheers
Patrick