I was checking out old Tomshardware review on site

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/video/20020621/sigma-05.html#conclusion_convenient_mpeg4_playback_for_dated_computers

A mpeg decoder card called Realmagic xcard is a hardware based decoder which
will allow MPEG-2 and 4 decoding. I think this is mainly for lowering CPU
usage for playback of MPEG-2 and 4 files. I'm trying to figure out if this
can be used with tvcard to convert avi to mpeg4 for recording tv shows. Does
anyone know if it can do this and if linux drivers are available?

http://www.buy.com/retail/Product_jump.asp?sku=10322167&SearchEngine=Inktomi&Type=PI&Keyword=10322167&Category=Comp&dcaid=17282

Skeeter