On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 11:31, Dirk Meyer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> yesterday I played with three tv players supporting dvb to find the
> right one for Freevo. All players have problems I want to have
> removed. So here a list of what I found out:
>
> 1. mplayer
>    + good output (many vo modules)
>    + support to add infos on the screen with bmovl
>    - no channel switching during runtime
>    - no live pause
>    - no seek back while watching
>
> 2. xine
>    + also a wide range of output
>    - bad channel switching during runtime
>    - no live pause
>    - no seek back while watching
>
> 3. vdr
>    + good channel switching during runtime
>    + live pause
>    - hard to control from inside Freevo
>    - no seek back while watching
>    - doesn't work with our recordserver

Not knowing exactly what i'm talking about, i'd like to make a
suggestion/question. Sorry if this is totally irrelevant. But how about
using libsoftmpeg (http://linuxtv.org/libsoftmpeg/)? It seems like it's
designed as a library for this use and although as i understand it's
still very much alpha code, couldn't it be useful/used?

just a thought,

juhis