Hi,

I have been hacking on a Freevo-like project in my spare time, and some
of my recent work has been to incorporate time shifting with live TV in
MPlayer.  I thought perhaps Freevo might make use of some of the code or
ideas (which are mostly not really new or my own), so I've done up a
page discussing the approach/implementation here:

        http://sault.org/mebox/livetv.php

I've released some demo code that seems to work reliably on my ivtv-
based card.  It expects an MPEG-PS stream, which can be gotten
conveniently from /dev/video0, but the design also allows for the stream
to be read via pipe, so in theory it should work with any v4l2/bttv card
using mp1e.  (I haven't tested this at all, and I'm curious to hear how
or if it works.)

You can download the code here:

        http://sault.org/mebox/downloads.php

There's also some other code/screenshots on that site.  Freevo might
also benefit from the bmovl2 patch (which I'd discussed some months ago
here).

I'd like to hear some feedback as to how this code works.  It's really
just proof-of-concept stuff and will probably need to be reimplemented,
but I believe the design is mostly sound.  This code is not really meant
for end-user consumption; hopefully freevo hackers find it useful in
some way.  Feedback, suggestions, and patches are greatly welcome.

Cheers,
Jason.