Hi mick,

Sunday, August 29, 2004, 4:57:10 PM, Mick wrote:

> Just a poll to gather opinions..

> What would you guys usefor this scenario:

> I have a (windows) laptop which holds some music and video files, and then I
> have my freevo box connected via remote.  I'm looking for a method to mount
> the laptops shares as readonly when it is available, and then remove the
> mount when it is not..

> The optoins I have found are:
> i) a cron job
> ii) automount + autofs (I tried and failed last night, i can't seem to find
> any documentaiton for mounting a not NFS share??)
> iii) supermount (seems just as hard a automount.. need to path kernel.)
> iv) your suggestions or comments welcome ;-)

Well using option II with success. Some of mine config files to get you going.

cat /etc/autofs/auto.master
# $Id: auto.master,v 1.1 2000/08/08 17:53:33 achim Exp $
# Sample auto.master file
# Format of this file:
# mountpoint map options
# For details of the format look at autofs(8).
/smbnet /etc/autofs/auto.smbnet --timeout=30

cat /etc/autofs/auto.smbnet
# $Id: auto.misc,v 1.2 2002/10/27 05:21:15 bcowan Exp $
# This is an automounter map and it has the following format
# key [ -mount-options-separated-by-comma ] location
# Details may be found in the autofs(5) manpage
#boot           -fstype=ext2            :/dev/hda1
#cd             -fstype=iso9660,ro      :/dev/cdrom
#floppy         -fstype=auto            :/dev/fd0
xp              -fstype=smbfs,users,ro,username=someuser,password=somepass   ://xp/DIVX
storage         -fstype=smbfs,users,rw,username=someuser,password=somepass
://storage/Storage
camera          -fstype=auto,nosuid,nodev,noexec,user,gid=100,umask=000      :/dev/sda1

local.conf.py

VIDEO_ITEMS = [ ('Movies', '/media/movies/Films'),
                ('XP movies','xp:/smbnet/xp'),
                ('Jazz captures', '/media/movies/Jazz'),
                ('Storage movies','storage:/smbnet/storage')]

Notice the hostname xp or storage before the path, it tries to ping
the hostname and when succesfull the entry shows up in the menu.

Good luck.

     /Robert