> Thanks for the idea.  Now, lets move on:
>
> What (specifically) do we think would be good
> options to have in a config
> plugin?
Ok,then, as we're trying to do the same work as a
number of set-top players/VCR, we should start looking
at them.
The player that should offer a good example is one
like mine, a DVD player with integrated dolby.
The important things which I setup the first time I
powered up the thing are:

-type of screen used (16:9 or 4:3).
-type of audio equipment (5.1 or stereo or dts)
-distance of the audio speakers, to introduce delays
(even if this is not so important)
-controls of brightness and saturation, with a test
image to check with

As you see, it's not a long complex list, just basic
things that needs to be set up by the user. To that,
you could then add maybe a TV list manager.
Then, wheter we should add a more complex list of
things, like audio driver for mplayer or video out
method selections, it's up debate. But users, for me,
shouldn't care of that.
Even directory selection, is not that critical. I am
taking a friend's freevo installation, for example. I
set it up for him, and setup all the options
correctly. But once in a while, there could be
changes. What if he buys a 16:9 tv set, or a 5.1
capable audio card? That should be user selectable.

Thanks.