On Dec 6, 2004, at 11:20 AM, Robert Kortenoeven wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2004, at 10:26 PM, Zach Lym wrote:
>
>> On Dec 2, 2004, at 2:08 PM, Robert Kortenoeven wrote:
>>
>>> Interesting issues. I've been pretty bad with providing User
>>> Interface
>>> input, but I still would
>>> like to contribute. UI design for consumer products is the work I do
>>> on a daily basis and
>>> Freevo is a great product.
>>>
>>> I cannot code either (no matter how much I want to, I don't know
>>> where
>>> to start). Is it difficult
>>> to get into Python? I've never really done any coding apart from the
>>> Flash and Director
>>> scripting I do on a frequent basis. Would be great if Freevo's UI
>>> could be developed in Flash...
>>>
>> Hmmmm  I have never been a huge fan of flash
>> If we just do the photoshop mockups they can implement it whatever way
>> they want.  Plus I would think there may be some licensing issues to
>> use Flash for the interface.
>
> I agree with that. It's just every Interaction Designer's (what I do
> for a living) dream to have that much
> (direct) control over the look and feel of the product's User
> Interface...
> As for providing UI concepts for Freevo, it can be very useful for
> people like me to provide Flash/Director
> examples. In my daily work, I do a lot of UI specifying for
> screen-based products and in addition of the
> Photoshop assets I usually provide a (linear or dynamic)
> Flash/Director demo to the software engineering
> team to clarify the behavior (flow and animations).
Ahh hey, that is a really good idea.  I like it.  I will have to get
back into flash.  Although I never got beyond basic programming in it.
What other things do you develop?

>>> My skin development has stalled a bit since my last attempt (called
>>> Lounge) a couple
>>> of months ago, primarily because I have some trouble changing certain
>>> things in the
>>> skin and I have had a lot of trouble getting my system working again
>>> after my update
>>> to Fedora 2 (I'm not that much of a command-line guy).  My objective
>>> is still to finish this
>>> one and start work on another one. It would also be great if my skin
>>> could be included
>>> (when finished) in a future release or on the Freevo website.
>>>
>>> The skin is still available for download here:
>>>
>>> http://www.stormbuster.demon.nl/
>> You from the Nederlands?
>
> I'm a cheese-head, indeed... ;)
I didn't know you were called cheese-heads but I found my favorite
cheese there.  What city?  Would you like me to correct your english?
However good it is, the percentage that speaks english is in the 90's
isn't it?

>>> I use the skin full time and on a daily basis at home. It would be
>>> great if you guys could
>>> give it a try and give me some suggestions on how to fix things (for
>>> instance how to give
>>> my highlight the right horizontal size in some of the screens, like
>>> the contextual menu where
>>> it's have the size all of a sudden and how to change the color of the
>>> text that appears when
>>> a folder is empty or contains invalid data).
>>>
>>> I know you like to have some icons in it, but for me it is more
>>> important to get the basics right before
>>> going into the use of icons (icons should support the UI, but it
>>> should be possible to use the product
>>> without them).
>>>

>>> I'm not to sure about Jef Raskin's guidelines when it comes to UI
>>> design for consumer
>>> electronics, as the way we enjoy Freevo is fundamentally different
>>> from the productivity systems
>>> that Jef focuses on (which does not mean I'm not thankful for what he
>>> did at Apple off course).
>> The interface design principals he teaches are still applicable.  The
>> later part of the book where he provides solutions to many computer
>> navigational problems is less useful as it deals with mice and
>> keyboards.  Here we will focus on remote controls and their special
>> attributes.
>>
>> One thing that scares me is lack of standardization.  Especially with
>> Freevo remotes, as they use nothing but 3rd party vendor solutions.
>> It
>> would be cool if we could make a standard remote spec.  The
>> instructions on how to build them are on the site.  It would also be a
>> cool way to make money if we started selling some...  I have machining
>> friends I could get in on it.  There was also an online oriented
>> custom
>> fabrication place on /. a while ago...
>>
>> Anyway, I think that is a ways off and a rather large project.
>
> Standardization on the hardware side would be great. I'm not sure how
> feasible
> it is. One thing that we could at least start looking at is
> commonalities in the remote
> controls that people use with Freevo. Directional keys for instance
> can be found on
> the majority of remote controls in one way or the other, so it would
> be a miss to ignore
> that.

Ohh yes, it would be silly to ignore that.  I was thinking hand wise
how to implement it.  It may be impossible without introducing a mode
or having a custom quasi-mode key.  : (

>>> Then again, I haven't read his book, so I cannot not have a justified
>>> opinion on that.
>>> I had a brief look at The Humane Environment he's developing, but it
>>> failed to keep my attention.
>> I got addicted to it quick.  It is very basic in that it has no
>> export/import or cleans up the deleted section (it saves everything
>> you
>> have deleted.)  I would type everything in it and c/p it into
>> something
>> else for a while.  But then OS X came and I didn't feel like compiling
>> it and dealing with all that extra crap.  I have just been waiting for
>> future versions.
>
> I'll probably give it another try when/if he releases an Os X version.
>

>>> In terms of UI design for Consumer Electronics (which Freevo is part
>>> of), I usually stick to
>>> 3 basic rules in navigation;
>>>
>>> 1.    What is active/where is my highlight focus
>>> 2.    Where did I come from (feedback)
> [...]
>>> comes
>>> to UI design,
>>> it's not just for fancy effects, but it can help the user understand
>>> what's happening
>>> on-screen. Animation should be smooth and 'snappy' though, if one
>>> wants to give
>>> the UI a quality feel to it.
>> Yeah, MS completely missed the point of animation.  They have a little
>> dog, big deal.  OS X usually uses it only when it serves a function.
>> Communicates an idea.  It also needs to be fast.  Most DVD's it takes
>> FOREVER to get it going because they have to look cool while doing it.
>> After changing menus 3 times it becomes more annoying than cool.
>
> Couldn't agree more :)  (although the Shift-click slow-motion
> animation option
> in OsX is something that should never have made it into the final
> product.
> But then again, I guess Stevie likes it...)
>

>>> For me though, one of the main bottlenecks in Freevo currently is the
>>> navigation through
>>> large lists, especially in the music and photo sections (this takes a
>>> lot of time with the remote
>>> control). It would be really great to have an acceleration mechanism
>>> in the scrolling behavior.
>>> I can work out a simple Flash demo to give you an idea of what I have
>>> in mind.
>> While accelerated scrolling is good I believe that there are faster
>> ways.  Ever dealt with an iPod?  It allows you to scroll really really
>> fast, but you just end up scrolling past things.  I think that a
>> button
>> to skip to the next letter in the alphabet would be a better way.  I
>> believe one of the best ways is incremental search, something Apple
>> has
>> just hit on.  It is really a great thing, and I am working on some web
>> sudo- implementations in PHP with a friend.  Anyway, just to get an
>> idea on how much faster and better it is just download iTunes.  While
>> it could use some features it is almost spot on in terms of the UI,
>> within the standard crappy UI paradigm.
>> That would require an alphabet on the remote though.  It isn't that
>> bad
>> actually, especially if they are not spelling out entire name, usually
>> only getting close then arrowing to it is enough.  I would recommend a
>> system like on phones.  Press button x many times to get letter.  The
>> need for a quasi mode is entered into here though.  I have been
>> holding
>> onto this email because of this.  Basically I need to go to the
>> drawing
>> board on this one : )
>
> Sounds like a great idea. I do think it should coexist with the
> standard ways
> of navigation (where accelerated scrolling should still be a
> requirement).
> It would be great if there are multiple ways of getting to your
But we have to be very careful about how we implement it...

> One of the things I mentioned before is that it would be great if we
> could use
> Daap somehow to create a similar music navigation structure as in
> iTunes
> (using Genre, Artist, Album and Track title information from the ID3
> data). This
> may work quite well with your text search proposal. The Java
> application
> Applerecords from cdavies.org actually already has a realtime search
> implemented. On the other hand Hans Meine already pointed out that this
> also depends on the core Freevo developers using Daap...
> I can have a think about possible UI solutions for such a search
> mechanism
> and what the screen requirements would be.
>

>>> Dirk, can you still have a look one of these days at a possible
>>> implementation of the
>>> left/right arrows on the highlight, as shown in the main menu
>>> screenshot on my website?
>>> This relates to the rules mentioned above; on the top level, only the
>>> right arrow is shown
>>> and on the deepest level, only the left arrow is shown, indicating
>>> where one can navigate.
>> Definitely, a user doesn't need to guess what to do next.  Or fear
>> what
>> if they can get back if they make a mistake for that matter.
>>>

>>> Cheers,
>

>> Likewise
>> Zach
>>
>> P.S. I have to use my web interface to send off the emails I for this
>> list.  I sent one off using my email program, which got the moderator
>> filter.  It didn't tell me which one though.  If I didn't respond to
>> an
>> email just tell me which and I will resend it.
>
> I'll keep you posted
Thank God, I'll sleep better now : )
Zach