Nils-
   Just a guess, but it sounds like a video module is not being loaded
at boot. This modules is then getting load when you start the Window
amanger andi staying loaded till you reboot.
Use lsmod to see whcih one it is. It should be at or near teh top of
the list after you start teh Window manager.

Evan