mike lewis wrote ..
> On 12/18/06, Elizabeth Dodd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Using mencoder to record my tv i have a variable lag for the audio. At
> the
> > beginning it may be a few seconds behind and then appear to catch up
> later.
> >
> > I thought that the cpu load was to blame and reduced the recording video
> size
> > but it doesn't seem to be any better.
> >
> > What else do i need to check?
>
> Well.. I gave up and bought a DVB-T card.  THis way teh stream comes
> interleaved.  I think there are some syncing problems which come from
> some clocks on some sound cards.  I think CPU is a synching problem
> source, and I think mencoder just struggles to record TV.

i had a cx-88 but took it out for the saa7134 as i though it was a better card

> So, what is your mencoder command?

mencoder -tv driver=v4l2:chanlist=australia:volume=100:width=352:height=288
tv://28 -ovc lavc -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=ac3:vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=4000
-endpos 60 -noskip -o /tmp/record.avi

> Have you tried dumping the stream to HD and encoding offline?  (this
> takes big HD).
not tried that but that is an option HDD=250G

> Are you recoding sound off the card directly or sound input through
> the soundcard?

i'm not sure just from where i'm recording the sound - i think via the sound
card
the saa7134 does have an output seen in kmixer but i'm not sure how to use that
output instead

> Mick
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] mencoder -v
> > MEncoder 2:0.99+1.0pre7try2+cvs20060117-0ubuntu8 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer
> Team
> > CPU: Intel Pentium 4/Celeron D Prescott; Pentium D/XE Smithfield; Xeon
> > Nocona,Irwindale (Family: 15, Stepping: 1)
> > CPUflags: Type: 15 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
> > Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
> > 91 audio & 204 video codecs
> >
> > freevo is 1.5.4

thanks for the assistance