Hi Luois (resend, hit send before I was finished...).

Im currently going through this exact same process for Fiesty.  But I
have some experience doing the same thing recently for ubuntu edgy.

Here are the applications you are concerned with:
- vdr with the xinelibout plugin (because you need less custom code.
I followed this guide to get this working.
  http://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/DEBIAN_Compiling_VDR_Source_Packages
- xine as the display engine for vdr.  So, before moving on to freevo
get xine working as the display engine for vdr.
- freevo as the controlling engine for xine.  This is where the freevo
plugin "vdrtv.py" is used.  I don't think that plugin is in cvs.  I
have a local copy but there should also be one floating on this list
from me a few weeks back.  However, this plugin may or may not work
with xinelibout.  It was hacked to work with vdr-xine.  I am currently
going through the process of  updateing this plugin for freevo 1.7 to
work with xinelibout (started list night).  However, I got stuck with
pylirc.  It won't work for me on fiesty.

Now, please be aware of the following restrictions when using vdr on freevo:
a) Freevo has it's own recordserver
b) Freevo has it's own tvguide UI.
c) vdr has it's own recordserver
d) vdr has its own tv guide UI (less featured than freevo's).

Freevo's recordserver is not integrated with vdr.  And by the nature
of vdr (daemon) you can't release the dvb card for freevo to "own"
recording when you've chosen to use vdr.  Bascially, what this means
is, when you choose to use vdr with freevo, your also choosing not to
use freevo's tvguide UI and freevo recordserver.

There are other tools for vdr which mean as an end use your not
missing out on much.  I use the following
i) xmltv2vdr to enable freevo to pipe it's xml data into vdr's tv guide.
ii) VDRAmdin-AM (the -AM reffers to a fork since vdradmin is no longer
being updated).  This is a http UI to vdr to allow what every user
need "schedule favorites".  So you set a favorite base on chanel and
or program name, and with vdradmin the timer will be intilligent
enough to run each time the program is seen.

This results in a fully functional vdr service.

Mike