On 6/20/07, Davin Desborough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

There is a very unsettling notice on the Zap2It Labs page:
http://labs.zap2it.com/ztvws/ztvws_login/1,1059,TMS01-1,00.html

    *IMPORTANT MESSAGE:*

For several years we have offered a free TV listings service to
hobbyists for their own personal, noncommercial use. In October of 2004
we posted here an open letter saying the future of Zap2it Labs was at
risk because of certain growing misuses of the Zap2it Labs data.
Unfortunately this misuse has continued and grown. These misuses,
combined with other business factors have led to the decision to
discontinue Zap2it Labs effective September 1, 2007.

We thank those users who have honored the terms of the agreement, and we
suggest you consider the many TV listings options offered by the
commercial licensees of TMS TV listings data.

If you would like to discuss how to license TV listings for commercial
use, please let us know by e-mail ([EMAIL PROTECTED]
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) and include your company name, telephone
number and the best time to reach you. We will respond to your inquiry
as soon as possible.

We anticipate this decision will generate discussion and invite you to
respond via the Zap2it Labs forum. We will do our best to respond to
relevant questions posted on this forum in a timely manner.

Assuming that they actually shut down, is there an alternative service
out there that Freevo will work with?

Here is more detail from the forum post on this topic
- Continued use of the service to support commercial products, in violation
of the agreement.
- Commercial products continued to grow despite previous appeals that this
activity stop.
- There are significant changes to the supporting data structure forthcoming
and we could not devote resources to the continued upkeep and enhancements
of the service.
- Maintenance of the service is impacting our resource pool for other
projects.
- We sought alternative options but were unable to find a solution.
- We recognize the hardship this creates for the user community. We are open
to alternative solutions and would consider proposals that met the needs of
the user community and our company.
- We looked into options to turn this into a paid service however we do not
have the infrastructure at this time.

-Labs

--
Michael Labowicz