Hi Chris

I hade a similar problem, I think I accidentally deleted the row
"group_type='ivtv'" in the VIDEO_GROUPS section in local_conf.py.
After reparing that this is how it looks like in my local_conf.py.
I can look at live TV and do timeshift.

VIDEO_GROUPS = [
     # Use this group for watching tv
     VideoGroup(vdev=TV_DEVICE,
                adev=AUDIO_DEVICE,
                input_type='tuner',
                tuner_norm=CONF.tv,
                tuner_chanlist=CONF.chanlist,
                desc='Watching Video Group',
                group_type='ivtv'),]
#               record_group=1),
     # Use this group for recording tv
#     VideoGroup(vdev='/dev/video1',
#                adev=AUDIO_DEVICE,
#                input_type='tuner',
#                tuner_norm=CONF.tv,
#                tuner_chanlist=CONF.chanlist,
#                desc='Recording Video Group',
#                record_group=None),
# ]

Compared to yours my conf seem to have some more brackets "]" maybe you
missed it when you copied it into the mail. Else this might help you

/Petter