On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> > I'd like to see forums on the site.
> > I think they are more convenient and simpler to use than mailing
> > lists.
> > Sorry if this has been covered before.
>
> I prefer mail lists. (personal preference)

I'd add that I have 14 mailing list memberships and a few more forum ones. I
am active with the mailing lists, reading all posts, but never read all on
the forums, except one where I moderate and am responsible for reading every
single post.
Mailing lists do get things done, not as fast as irc, but faster than forum
exchanges.
Finding old stuff means you need a good search engine and good search
strategies - and then mailing list or forum gives no advantage.
I'd expect more newer users wanting a forum and less older users, and that
with time there will be enough interest to maintain a forum - someone has to
read and answer the posts, remove spam, and maintain some order when
arguments develop.

Liz

--
Fain would I climb, yet fear I to fall.