On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 14:40 +1000, Elizabeth Dodd wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> > > I'd like to see forums on the site.
> > > I think they are more convenient and simpler to use than mailing
> > > lists.
> > > Sorry if this has been covered before.
> >
> > I prefer mail lists. (personal preference)
>
> I'd add that I have 14 mailing list memberships and a few more forum ones. I
> Mailing lists do get things done, not as fast as irc, but faster than forum
> exchanges.

I have a multitude of maillist memberships.

> Finding old stuff means you need a good search engine and good search
> strategies - and then mailing list or forum gives no advantage.

Mailist provides the means of searching through archives much easier and
simpler since it's all in the user's desktop/laptop and it's all
threaded and you can use it when one does not have an I-net connection
available. (like me)

> I'd expect more newer users wanting a forum and less older users, and
> that
> with time there will be enough interest to maintain a forum - someone
> has to
> read and answer the posts, remove spam, and maintain some order when
> arguments develop.

Hey.. who're you calling old?? :-)