Hi,

This question is not directly related to freevo, but as I can often read
very nice hardware hints here...

I had the feeling that I just discovered a wonderful WAF system : the
Hauppauge MVP. This very small, nice and silent box is a micro Linux
system with an embedded MPEG 2 decoder. The idea is to use this box
connected to a TV, and accessing trough the network to
movies/music/pictures on another host. I had the feeling that this could
easily be an extension the the freevobox (witch lives in the living
room, the MVP box should live in the 'sleeping room').
(link to the product description :
http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/prods_mvp.html )

I did some very interesting tests, the result is great with mpeg 2
records, especially with records made with one of my hauppauge PVR cards.
Unfortunately, this small box doesn't understand any DIVX/XVID/MPEG4
format. So some very talented people created a new linux boot image, who
basically can drive a vlc instance running on the freevo box. This vlc
instance convert anything in MPEG2 format, and everything goes well ....
if the frevvo server is strong enough !
(One of the alternative Linux boot image for mvp : http://www.mvpmc.org/ )

My poor athlon box don't have the needed power to do a smoothless
conversion on the fly :-( To be sure of the problem, I had to test with
a strong computer (my Vista Laptop, with a Knoppix Live Linux CD).

So I came on another idea :  owning hauppauge PVR card, would it be
possible to use this card to do an hardware conversion to Mpeg2 format ?
Especially (maybe a mad idea :-) ), I'm watching the output of my
freevobox trough the TV out of my PVR-350 card. Could it be possible to
capture this output back  (no idea how to do that) and send the flow to
the MVP box ?

This would create a 'clone' of the master output, and then, I 'just'
would have to send back to the master system the output of the remote
(this seems lot easier ;-) )

Thanks for reading until here,
Pascal