Thank you Tanja, I didn't even try the recordserver after I got that error
message but you're right, it works (at least I've managed to record a show
successfully now!)

I have the freevo recordserver working on a server without a desktop and I
connect to the server from my other computers (using freevo). The server is
also used as a fileserver. The webserver functionality will eventually be
enabled as well but that is not so important. The really cool thing I will
try to do soon is to remove the disk from my tv-computer and do a network
boot instead, to reduce heat and noice.