James-
> I went through the steps outlined in the archived mails (they were recent,
> maybe August of this year) and even ran into the same error with Python
> complaining there was no core module in distutils. Apparently the original
> troubleshooter solved the problem by reinstalling kaa and/or Python. I didn't
> want to do that (I'm lazy!) so I spent a frustrated hour poking around.

That was me. In my case I had a broken install of Kaa. As I am
building packages for Slackware and not just myself, I needed to make
sure it installed right every time so I rebuilt the pacakge. You might
try rerunning freevo cache form the command line and the restart
freevo. I have had to do that sometimes to clear bad caches.

Evan